Setup.exe -- Something Completely Different

Hi,

Running Cygwin Setup.exe seems to have the effect of flushing my system's disk cache (I'm on Win2K Pro SP3 with 512 megabytes of RAM). In the aftermath using other applications necessitates lots of in-paging and file system cache reconstruction so they're very sluggish at first. This symptom may be exacerbated by the fact that I keep all the packages cached locally (source and binary) and installed (binary only).

Are there options in the Windows I/O API that would allow Setup.exe to bypass the system's disk cache when doing its MD5 checksum validation I/O?

Randy