Re: Beginnings of a patch: /etc/hosts

On 12 Sep 2002, Robert Collins wrote:

> > > To me that's a step backwards - uname -s or $OS are the correct ways
> > > to detect the operating system. Warren's approach would be fooled if
> > > a user defined $SYSTEMROOT on Win 9x.
> >
> > Win 9x does not set $OS...  At least my Win 98 machine at home doesn't.
> > Besides, the user can always set $OS to fool the script,
>
> Rule #1: The user knows better than the tool. If the user wants to fool
> the script, they can, even with uname. If a user is doing that, assume
> they have a reason and let them do it with grace.
>
> Rob

True.  Hey, I'm a control freak myself...  I was not speaking against
"fooling the script", I was just making an observation.  However, the
issue here is not the intentional "fooling" that you describe, but
unintentional.  It's much harder to do that with 'uname -s' than with an
environment variable.

Besides, why would anyone want to fool a post-install script?
Mmm, I guess I could think of a few reasons, but then shouldn't all
post-install scripts be susceptible to fooling in the same way, i.e.,
"with grace"?  Should this be documented somewhere?
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

It took the computational power of three Commodore 64s to fly to the moon.
It takes a 486 to run Windows 95.  Something is wrong here. -- SC sig file