Help! Can I access a tape created with UNIX tar under W2K

I think I got all of the things down, what am I missing?  Drive is DDS, OS is
W2KSP2, cygwin was just installed from net today:

Administrator@BRIAN ~
$ mount -b -f //./tape0 /dev/st0

Administrator@BRIAN ~
$ mt -f /dev/st0 status
No media
datcompression   :       on
min block size   :        1             max block size   :    65536
def block size   :    16384
report setmarks  :       on

Administrator@BRIAN ~
$ mt -f /dev/st0 status
tape capacity    :        0 KB          remaining        :        0 KB
current block    :        0             write protected  :       no
datcompression   :       on

Administrator@BRIAN ~
$ mt -f /dev/nst0 status 2
tape capacity    :        0 KB          remaining        :        0 KB
current block    :        0             write protected  :       no
datcompression   :       on
min block size   :        1             max block size   :    65536
def block size   :    16384             cur block size   :     2048
report setmarks  :       on

Administrator@BRIAN ~
$ mt -f /dev/nst0 setblk 0

Administrator@BRIAN ~
$ tar -tvf /dev/st0
tar: /dev/st0: Cannot read: No space left on device
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

Administrator@BRIAN ~
$ tar -tvf /dev/nst0
tar: /dev/nst0: Cannot read: No space left on device
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now

Thanks for your consideration of my plight!  I'm trying to recover a website
for a friend, they are down until I can get this tape opened.

best regards,

Brian