RE: How to install packages...

I guess that you could untar everything appropriately,
but you'd need to run the post-install scripts.

Instead of that I installed on one machine and then
copied everything over to a network share. This allows Cygwin to
be run from any machine on the network without doing an install
on the local machine.

Setup also creates the proper mounts.  To get around that
I have the user click on a shortcut that points
to a batch file containing:

   call \\cecsfp\cygwin\scripts\mkusrmnts 2> nul:
   \\cecsfp\cygwin\bin\rxvt -tn xterm -e /bin/bash --login -i

where mkusrmnts is another batch file that sets up all of the
required mount points correctly.  (All as user mounts so that no
special privileges are required.)

I also modified /etc/profile to mount /home over a cygwin subdirectory
in the user's Windows HOMEPATH.  To get X to run correctly I found that
I had to mount /tmp over a tmp subdirectory under their cygwin
subdirectory.  Now students can get a Cygwin session or start up an X
windows session from any Windows machine on our campus.  Everything
seems
to work fine.  (I've been wondering recently whether each user needs
their own /var mount also.  I need to find out which programs
write to /var.)

I'd be happy to send anyone who is interested the mkusrmnts.bat and
profile
files that make this work.

The network share is a mirror of the cygwin install on my machine.
After
I update my machine I user rsync to update the network share (excluding
the /home, /tmp, /usr/lib, /usr/bin, /usr/tmp and /usr/var directories
and
a few files in /etc).

Tony Richardson