Re: How to install packages...

On Sat, Sep 21, 2002 at 05:41:55PM +0000, Soren A wrote:
>Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote in
>1032604599.10933.113.camel@lifelesswks:">news:1032604599.10933.113.camel@lifelesswks:
>>Soren, you should submit the changes as a diff for starters.  Secondly,
>>if at all possible, submit a change against the website CVS.

Before anyone gets too far into this: I am sorry that my whimsical
replies did not make it obvious that I am not interested in web site
modifications for this particular "problem".

There is always a fine line between adding so many words that people
stop reading and trying to make things so completely obvious that any
"newbie" will understand things instantly.

This is one of those places.  The web site currently has these words:

"The setup.exe utility, which is downloaded when you click on the above
link, tracks the versions of all installed components and provides the
mechanism for installing or updating everything.  Run this program any
time you want to install a cygwin package."

(I added the second sentence yesterday)

I think this is clear enough.  In reality, this particular problem has
become pretty rare since I changed the web site a few months ago and, in
fact, it was actually only slightly less rare before I changed the web
site.  I don't think there is any reason for further modifications or
clarifications.  I'd actually attribute this particular problem to the
fact that the original person didn't really read the information
available on the cygwin web site.

And, just to be really crystal clear about this: I'm also not interested
in debating the issue either.  It's just not that important.

Thanks, everyone for your efforts, though.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .