Re: How is cygwin's version stamp (currently 1.3.12-2) determined?

On Wed, Sep 25, 2002 at 02:19:17PM -0400, Francis Litterio wrote:
>About three or four weeks ago, I downloaded and installed Cygwin
>1.3.12-2.  Today, I re-ran setup.exe, and it downloaded several newer
>packages, yet the Web site still claims that this is Cygwin 1.3.12-2.
>
>What are the criteria for changing the Cygwin revision stamp?

>From the website:

  What Is Cygwin?
  Cygwin is a UNIX environment, developed by Red Hat, for Windows.  It
  consists of two parts:
  # A DLL (cygwin1.dll) which acts as a UNIX emulation layer providing
  substantial UNIX API functionality.
  # A collection of tools, ported from UNIX, which provide UNIX/Linux look
  and feel.
  .
  .
  .
  What's New and How Do I Get it?
  The latest net releases of the Cygwin DLL are numbered 1.1.x or 1.3.x.
  1.n.x versions of the Cygwin DLL are newer than previous beta Bxx (i.e.
  B19, B20, B20.1) versions.  The last commercial release was v1.0 which
  was only released on CD-ROM and is no longer available.  Red Hat has no
  current plans to release a new commercial CD.  The Red Hat GNUpro
  release version is currently 1.2.x and is available only with Red Hat
  support contracts.
  .
  .
  .
  Note that the 1.n.x version numbering refers only to the Cygwin DLL.
  Individual packages like bash, gcc, less, etc.  are released
  independently of the DLL.  The setup.exe utility, which is downloaded
  when you click on the above link, tracks the versions of all installed
  components and provides the mechanism for installing or updating
  everything.  Run this program any time you want to install a cygwin
  package.

cgf