Unicode compatibility of Postgres over cygwin, W2000 server and odbc driver

HI.

I am using a W2000 Advanced server. Have installed cygwin and postgres version 7.2 The initdb has been done with -E UNICODE option so that the encoding is in unicode. Also the databse is created using the same option.

I am accessing the database using DSN (ODBC : Postgres & Unicode (Beta) released 30 Aug. 2002

The database works great with english characters (ANSI). As soon as a Unicode charater comes in, it converts it into unreadable characters.

In contrast if I access any other Unicode compliant database like MS - Access 2002 or MS SQL Server 2000 or Oracle 9i or Sybase XII, it all works fine over the DSN.

Where does the problem lie? Is it possible that cygwin is somehow converting the characters from unicode to ansi? (Since postgres is clearly unicode compliant and the odbc driver is unicode compliant)

Thankyou and God bless.

Tom Cenario