ssmtp and cron

Can somebody enlighten me how ssmtp and cron work together, please?

F.e. what is the /etc/ssmtp/revaliases file for (which looks for me):
admin:merkosh@hadiko.de:smtp.hadiko.de:25
merkosh:merkosh@hadiko.de:smtp.hadiko.de:25

As far as I understood this, if mails are send *to* merkosh
ssmtp would get the destination e-mail and smtp host from this file -
right?
But calling "/usr/sbin/ssmtp merkosh" from the command line won't
work. (after supplying a dummy body)

Then to the /etc/ssmtp/ssmtp.conf file (which looks for me):
root=admin
mailhub=smtp.hadiko.de
rewriteDomain="Uwe Mayer"       #or: rewriteDomain=m111.hadiko.de
hostname=m111.hadiko.de
FromLineOverride=YES

admin is the login name of the administrator. So mails to root
should be send to user "admin" and his e-mail is looked up in
/etc/ssmtp/revaliases ??

Then the "sending mails from crontabs":
My crontab contained:
SHELL=/bin/bash
MAILTO=merkosh
* * * * * /usr/bin/date

And I expected mails send to user "merkosh" (<- as in man 5 crontab)
who's e-mail is looked up from /etc/ssmtp/revaliases...?

This didn't work. I get a letter.dead file in my home folder and the
following line in /var/log/cron.log:

/usr/sbin/ssmtp: smtp server didn't accept MAIL From, replied "553 5.5.4 <root>... Domain name required for sender address root".

What works is:

* * * * * /usr/bin/date | /usr/sbin/ssmtp merkosh@hadiko.de

which is unsattisfying, because it should work without the pipe... :(

Any ideas?
Ciao
Uwe