Re: crontab fails to change crontab file: "no changes made to crontab"

"Harig, Mark A." <maharig@idirect.net> wrote:

> Somehow, the cron.sh script did not get run during your installation.
> Here is what it does:
>
> #!/bin/sh
>
> set -x
>
> if [ ! -d /var/cron ]
> then
>   mkdir -p /var/cron
> fi
> chmod 1777 /var/cron
>
> if [ ! -d /var/cron/tabs ]
> then
>   mkdir /var/cron/tabs
> fi
> chmod 1777 /var/cron/tabs

Thanks very much for the response. A part of my debugging work was to run
the /etc/postinstall/cron.sh.done script, which appears substantially the
same. Anyhow, I removed /var/cron and ran your script, but I still see

crontab: no changes made to crontab

when I try to edit the crontab file. Note: the first crontab -e creates my
crontab file with no problems. Crontab is simply (!) unable to establish the
new version.

I notice that the permissions this script attempts to establish aren't
actually being imposed:

$ ls -Rl /var/cron
/var/cron:
total 0
drwxr-xr-x    2 sholden  None            0 Oct 10 14:35 tabs

/var/cron/tabs:
total 1
-rw-r--r--    1 sholden  None          229 Oct 10 14:35 sholden

The permissions are essentially unchaged. I even logged in as Administrator
and tried:

chmod 1777 /var/cron

but still no changes were made to the permissions.  Does this indicate the
error?

regards
Previous .sig file retired to                    www.homeforoldsigs.com