Re: running windows progs in cygwin/bash

Carlos,

If you want to take advantage of the underlying file suffix associations, look into the "cygstart" command. If you don't have that program on your Cygwin installation, install the package "cygutils."

Otherwise, you can invoke Windows programs from a Cygwin shell. Just use the fully qualified path name of the executable (being careful to quote or escape as necessary when spaces or other characters special to the shell are present) or put the application's directory in the PATH you're using in Cygwin.

Look into the "cygpath" for conversion between Cygwin / Unix / POSIX file and path names or PATH (-like) values and Windows or DOS equivalents.

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA