Re: Viruses being transported with Cygwin messages

Hi,

I might help to know this is the "W32.Bugbear@mm" worm. It has been spreading a lot lately. In today's batch I received 3 copies under different names (supposedly from Christopher Faylor, Gareth Pearce and Elfyn McBratney), each with different contents and different attachment names.

Here's what Symantec has to say about this worm: <http://www.sarc.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bugbear@mm.html>

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA

At 14:25 2002-10-13, Michael A Chase wrote:
On 14 Oct 2002 06:36:02 +1000 Robert Collins <rbcollins@cygwin.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-10-14 at 05:04, Gregg C Levine wrote:

> > Folks, don't roar at me, but I am seeing a number of messages arrive here,
> > infected. One came with a message via Robert Collins, twice,

> Can you point me at the message with the virus? And the virus? I email
> from UNIX, so am *very* surprised at this.

Like spam, most common email viruses forge the 'from' address. I am seeing
a few of these too, but, as Chris said, they aren't coming through the
Cygwin server.