RE: cygwin/emacs display problems, was: terminal-mode cygwin/emacs problem

Hi Tom,

> No, even after un/reinstalling, I still see
>
> * When emacs starts up, the display is usually shifted either down a
>    line or to the right a column from where it should be, with
>    extraneous characters showing in either the minibuffer, or the top
>    of the display (first line under windows titlebar) or both.
>
> * After startup, the minibuffer's contents, and sometimes that of the
>    window, shifts to the right. I can "move it back" via the horizontal
>    scrollbar, but then I lose the first column of the minibuffer prompt
>    (or of the contents of the window).

hum, I find  this suspicious. Why do you have a horizontal scroll bar on
your window? (There's no scrollbar in emacs -nw ). I suspect that you have
changed the Windows properties of the 'terminal' window to have a larger
buffer than what is displayed. In NT, you do this as follows: right click
the title bar of your window, select 'properties' from the menu. Now check
the settings 'screen buffer size' and 'window size'. Do you by any accident
have the horizontal screen buffer size 1 larger than the horizontal window
size? That would explain your problem. cygwin probably assumes (I think
correctly) that your horizontal size is equal to 'screen buffer size'.

> * After startup, if I change buffers, "garbage" characters from the
>    previous buffer (i.e. normal 7-bit ASCII chars, just ones that don't
>    belong in the current buffer) are often visible in the new one.

hum, not good

>> by the way, if you don't have a /usr/lib (as you mentioned), there's
>> something very wrong with your installation! For example, your
>> package list mentions

>>  > libiconv2           1.8-2
>>  > libintl1            0.10.40-1
>>  > libintl2            0.11.5-1
>>  > libncurses5         5.2-1
>>  > libncurses6         5.2-8
>>  > libreadline4        4.1-2
>>  > libreadline5        4.3-2

>> these should all be in /usr/lib (which is actually the same as /lib
>> due to your mount points)

>Hmm. I should probably try reinstalling. I did not delete my old
>cygwin (1.3.10) install before putting the new one on--perhaps that
>causes problems?

you normally don't have to do that (unless that installation was screwed up
already).

Joe might be right: are you sure you're using bash here (all the time)? Open
a bash window and do
	ls /usr/lib
you should see lots of stuff.
	ls /lib
and you should see the same

Same remark for the emacs terminal problem. emacs -nw probably won't work
nicely when run from a usual Windows command prompt. (ok, on my NT box, it
does seem to work, except that I can't use Ctrl-C. I do have cygwin stuff i
nmy NT path though, I don't have TERM defined in my NT cmd shell).

> Well, it took me awhile to figure out how to do this (nothing in the
> FAQ or User's Guide :-<), but now I've documented it at
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl?CygwinizedEmacsHOWTO

by the way, you should mention in that how-to that emacs-X runs with any
(proper) X-windows emulator. (In my case, it runs happily using exceed
X-windows emulator.) Also, the startx command is only available when you
installed the XFree package.

and I guess you should also mention the CYGWIN=tty. (Not that I tried it
without that).

Oh, I see now that I can modify that page myself. Neat. But I'll let you do
it now.

Kris Thielemans
(kris.thielemans <at> ic.ac.uk)
Imaging Research Solutions Ltd