starting a CYGWIN app from a Windows Service

When I run an application that uses the cygwin1.dll from either a Windows Service and then from the command line I get different results when trying to read a text file.

As a Windows Service:
I use fopen and fgets to read a DOS text file and the CR/LF combinations are handled properly. Meaning that I only see the single LF.

Running from a DOS command line:
Using the exact same executable image as above, both characters are in the buffer.

What I know:
Both instances use the very same DLL image. (I deleted it and both instances complain about the DLL missing.)

Both instances are reading the exact same file, not two different copies.

I tried working with the CYGWIN environment variable with no effect on the outcome.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Mark