CVSEDITOR is not set.
EDITOR is set to "vi".
which vi reports:
/usr/bin/vi
and invoking "vi" works.

Steve

Igor Pechtchanski wrote:

Steve,

When a 'cvs commit' is invoked without the -m option, an editor is started
to create the message. Which editor is started is determined (in order of
priority) by the -e flag, the CVSEDITOR environment variable, the VISUAL
environment variable, and the EDITOR environment variable. Please check
what the values of these varaibles are (if they are set). In case none of
these variables are set, cvs invokes the system default editor (i.e.
'vi'). Please see whether you have a non-cygwin vi in your path (by
running 'which vi' or 'bash -c "type -a vi"').
Igor