aclocal wrapper fails because -x check fails (something to do with ntsec ?)

I tried some searches in the archive ("setup permission", "ntsec",
even "gcc exe not executable" hehe), but I don't think I know
enough to phrase the correct query to find if this has been
discussed.

I believe that the aclocal wrapper is failing because the
-x check is failing because
/usr/autotools/devel/bin/aclocal-1.6
appears under cygwin to have these privileges
-rwx------ 1 Administ None

so it is not executable to me.

However, I can invoke it by path and it works ok.
(I mean, I can run /usr/autotool/devel/bin/aclocal directly)

So my autogen script is failing b/c the aclocal wrapper
(usr/bin/aclocal) is failing -- and I believe it is this
line in /usr/bin/aclocal
if [ ! -x ${AUTO_DEVEL}/bin/aclocal ] ; then
near the end.

Background:
Windows XP Professional
uname -r: 1.3.13(0.62/3/2)

I am a user who is not in the NT Administrators group.
When I run setup.exe, I fill in its dialog to let it run
as the Administrator (after I found that it doesn't work
otherwise).

Perhaps most developers log in using an account in the
Administrators group, and do not experience this problem ?

I'm not sure if I should change the NT file permissions of
/usr/autotools/devel/bin/aclocal-1.6
(and all the other ones I suppose), or if I should try
to use chmod, or if I must add myself to the Administrators
group ?

Thanks for any pointers.

Cordially,

Perry

PS:
I would experiment first with NT file permissions, but rather
embarassingly, I haven't been able to figure out how to get to
NT file permissions under XP (right-click properties doesn't
show a Security tab, and Advanced doesn't show any, and my
disk partition *is* NTFS).

The fact that the setup program allows me to give it credentials
to be an Administrator strongly suggests that I do not in fact
need to be an Administator myself to use cygwin ? (Or it ought to
just fail & tell me so, I would think.)