bin dir not created during cygwin setup in Win2kPro

I am tryign to install cygwin on a windows 2k box.  I have tried downloading from the web, and downloading the install to my machine and installing from there.

When I click install I can see that some files are supposed to go to /bin, but when setup is done, I do not have a bin directory.

It does seem to create e:\cygwin\lib, e:\cygwin\tmp and e:\cygwin\usr, but no other directories.

I have tried both DOS and UNIX type
I have tried installing for All Users, and for myself
I have tried reinstalling base
I have tried installing to c:\cygwin
I have tried creating the e:\cygwin\bin directory manually, but it still does not load the files into it.

I have searched the mailing list archives and didnt' see anything related.  I have searched google, and didn't find anything related to this version.

I looked in the setup.log and setup.log.full and they only show details on downloading the package, not on trying to install it.

There is plenty of disk space free on drive E (over 17Gb).

Any ideas what I can try next, or where I can search for answers?

I'm at a total loss what to try now and am on about my 11th re-install with absolutely no change.

Windows 2000 Pro with latest service packs and windows updates
256mb memory.
40Gb C drive with 24Gb free
80Gb D drive with 78Gb free
20Gb E drive with 17Gb free (after install)
logged in as Administrator