RE: Meaningful Windows locations and cygpath

The problem with using the $USERPROFILE is all off these "Special Folders"
can be changed to just about anything. For example, I change my "My
Documents" folder to a network drive, but I leave most other items local. A
better way to resolve the location of these folders is to look in the
registry. Using the cygwin app, regtool.exe

regtool get "/HKCU/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Explorer/Shell
Folders/Personal"

will give you the location of the My Documents

Using this command you could create an alias, mounting, or env var to
shortcut getting to the folder.

This is true under Win2k. I assume XP and ME do the same thing as well.

A better solution, IMHO, would be to have cygpath figure out all these
special locations.

Chris