Re: setup.exe: keep

>> Michael D. Berger & Rosalie A. Clavez <mdberger@radix.net> wrote:
>>> In looking at the list of items I can install, I see that one
>>> of the options is "keep".  What does this mean?
>>> I would like to execute this sequence:
>>> 1 - download a complete new version;
>>> 2 - backup the complete new version;
>>> 3 - delete my old version;
>>> 4 - install the new version.
>>> Does the "keep" oprion intefere with this procedure?

> Max Bowsher wrote:
>> Keep = leave as is, i.e. do nothing.
>>
>> But why would you want to make things so hard for yourself? Cygwin is
>> designed to be updated on a package by package basis, not wiped and
>> reinstalled regularly.

Michael D. Berger & Rosalie A. Clavez <mdberger@radix.net> wrote:
> Without going into why I would want to follow the procedure I have
> outlined, I infer from what you say that it is not possible to do,
> without individually changing each keep.  To get a clean, new
> installation, it seems that I must first remove the old version,
> and then download the new one.
>
> Is this true?  This would be a considerable problem.

Please keep replies on list.

I'm not really clear on what the problem is - so here are some thoughts that
might help, but perhaps you could re-phrase exactly what your problem is?
Currently, I'm guessing that you want to be in a position to reinstall
Cygwin from your local disc, without a net connection.

You seem to think that a Cygwin "installation source" is a monolithic
entity. Its not. It is a small setup.exe program, a setup.ini information
file and a collection of packages. Therefore 'download a complete new
version' really doesn't make much sense.

Hopefully, you can explain exactly what you want to achieve, and get an
answer from me or anyone else on cygwin@cygwin.com.

Max.