Problem with rsh

The problem seems to have cropped up since 1.3.12 of Cygwin and seems to me to be related to a fix Corinna did that allows passwordless rlogin/rsh provided that ~/.rhosts is set up properly. Now the problem I have is that rsh <system> <command> always gives me permission denied. Here's a description that I managed to post back on 9/3 that never got an answer:

I've run into a major problem using rsh. Note that I've been using rsh successfully for a while and many people here depend on being able to rsh into the server. However now I get:

$ rsh server id
server.mydomain.com: Permission denied.

If, however, I stop inetd as a service and run it instead at the command line with inetd -d then it works fine. Note that "rsh server" also works in that it is essentially an rlogin however we need the ability to rsh with a command.

What changed? Why is this suddenly broken? Note that the server is runing Cygwin 1.3.9 and has been for quite some time without a problem.

Also, on my system running Cygwin 1.3.12-4 I also cannot rsh into my own machine.

$ rsh adefaria id
adefaria.mydomain.com: Login incorrect.

Note the different error message. Again, running inetd -d from the command line works OK. I think that perhaps this might have something to do outside of Cygwin like maybe that my ~/.rhosts file is not able to be read correctly due to some change in Windows permissions on the share where my home directory exists. If this is the case what/how do I check this?

Thanks in advance.
--

Salira <http://www.salira.com>
Ethernet Simple, Fiber Fast