Re: "cleaning" donwload directories and keeping the current config?

Javier,

At 17:47 2002-10-27, Javier wrote:
Hi!

Am a happy user of cygwin for quite some now. I love the tool, but I'd like to be able to "clean up" my install a little.

Currently on my downloads dir there are a zillion sub-dirs with the names "Like" the different mirrors I used on a certain moment to download / install from the net different apps and versions and whatnot.
I think it's advisable to pick a reliable mirror that gives you good performance and stick with it, rather than "shopping around" for different mirrors.

I guess I could manually traverse the dirs and delete the all-but-most-recent files on each and every one, and then "create" a single tree and copy the latest version of every file.. and probably would mess up setup.ini, and what not... but it'd be a PITA. Is there a (automated, or planned) way to do it?
Max Bowsher has already told you about Michael Chase's scripts. If you stick to the manual method, it's easiest to do it incrementally, rather than letting the mess build up. Take it from me, I used to try to play catch-up with this, and you're right--it produces painful posterior syndrome. It's a lot like housecleaning, actually. I still haven't taken that lesson to heart...

Also, I'd like to "reinstall" the Cygwin environment I have now on another PC. Is there any "list" of the packages I have installed, so I can just copy the download dirs over and run setup to have them install? (sort like .config files, I guess)

Thanks a lot

Javier Jarava

Randall Schulz
Mountain View, CA USA