Cygwin, GNU make and VC++ ?

Hello everyone,
I'm trying to recompile a homegrown program that was originaly
developped for Unix under Windows. We were successful in compiling this
program with the cygwin-supplied gcc using our current Makefile.

Now we'd like to recompile with the 'native' compiler, cl.exe provided
with Visual Studio, as some believe the native compile would produce
faster binaries (it's a long-running analysis code - even 5% speedup
would be significant). Also, the gcc binary can't seem to be able to
allocate more than 1024MB of memory, even though the machine has 4GB
physical (this is under Windows 2000). Even then, we had to modify a
registry key to be able to use more than 256MB, which is not great for
end-users.

Anyway, we're making progress in being able to compile with CL.EXE, but
we're having trouble with include files. We use the flag
'-I/home/user/dg/include' to point to the include directory, but it
can't find it. If we use '-I../include' it works, but for many reasons
we need to be able to specify absolute paths for include files.

Has anyone done that ? I was not able to find anything relevant in the
archives.

Thanks.