It's x86

Hi,

Since I participated in the confusion about gcc/g++'s interpretation of the cpu-type-specific options, I thought I'd post this excerpt from the GCC manual page:

-mcpu=cpu-type
Tune to cpu-type everything applicable about the
generated code, except for the ABI and the set of
available instructions. The choices for cpu-type are
i386, i486, i586, i686, pentium, pentium-mmx,
pentiumpro, pentium2, pentium3, pentium4, k6, k6-2,
k6-3, athlon, athlon-tbird, athlon-4, athlon-xp and
athlon-mp.

While picking a specific cpu-type will schedule things
appropriately for that particular chip, the compiler
will not generate any code that does not run on the
i386 without the -march=cpu-type option being used.
i586 is equivalent to pentium and i686 is equivalent
to pentiumpro. k6 and athlon are the AMD chips as
opposed to the Intel ones.

-march=cpu-type
Generate instructions for the machine type cpu-type.
The choices for cpu-type are the same as for -mcpu.
Moreover, specifying -march=cpu-type implies
-mcpu=cpu-type.

I don't know how to interpret GCC configuration specifications, so I'll just take Chris F.'s exhortation as an indication that the architecture setting in the Cygwin build of GCC is i386 and that when the Cygwin releases are built, that default is not overridden.

Randy