RE: Trouble with fresh install of Cygwin -- solved

Thanks to Pierre A. Humblet and Joshua D. Franklin for further guidance.

My problems were solved by adding "set CYGWIN=nontsec" to the cygwin.bat file. It appears that the ACL setup on my machine clashed with ntsec somehow. As I have no influence on that, turning ntsec off seems to be the only solution.

Since quite a few people seem to have problems with ownership/permission issues (judging from the mailing list), could it be made an entry in the FAQ?

"If on NT/2000/XP, you encounter strange permission problems, try turning off ntsec"

or something to that effect. (Apologies if it's already there but I didn't see it).
The problem was quite a show-stopper for me and my colleagues in the office. I'm glad it's solveable.

BTW, there is another thing missing in the initial Cygwin setup:

"startx" looks for an X server named "X" in /usr/X11R6/bin, which is not there. Setting up a softlink solves this:

ln -s /usr/X11R6/bin/XWin.exe /usr/X11R6/bin/X

and all is well.

Cheers & thanks for the great help

KAspar Pflugshaupt