odd seg fault with xerces-c

Hi,

A project I am working on recently added xerces to its requirements ... so I
compiled up a cygwin version of the library having seen reports of it
working now.
I installed it and all the tests and samples run and seem fine.

However my application now dies and its singal handler hangs, partway into
the boot process.
Running under gdb ... - shows segv
backtrace gives
~130thousand frames of 0x0068b7e8 in ?? (no i didnt check All of them - just
the first few thousand :P)
followed by about 20 frames
-most similar to 0x00401535 in _size_of_stack_reserve__ ()
and a few like 0x61007288 in _libuser32_a_iname ()
(bt of threads 2 and 3 were just 3 or 4 of the last kind)

Just to ensure it wasnt my application - I grabbed cvs from 4 days which was
working just fine 4 days ago... and the problem still occured. - I then
realised i hadnt grabed the cvs makefile from 4 days ago - and was still
using a link line with -lxerces-c in it.  removing this and the problem goes
away.  adding it - and it comes back.

That is - the program segfaults just by having the library linked in.
Despite it not using it at all.  And yet all the test programs work fine.

any suggestions on where to head with debugging this? - I find it very odd
that linking a program but not using it - can cause things to crash ... but
only with some applications.  All of the tools for this project also get
compiled with xerces-c linked in - and none of them crash.

I am using latest of all but a dozen completely unrelated packages.  cygwin
was 1.3.14
I currently have latest snapshot dll (31/10)- no change.
I upgraded from 1.3.12 to 1.3.14 when making xerces-c after ld died the
first time i tried to compile it.

Gareth - very confused.