Re: (Serious) X11 problem

On Fri, 1 Nov 2002 21:31:37 +0100, jblazi <jblazi@gmx.de> wrote:

>I have tried to compile an X11 program from the Guile tutorial
>http://www.gnu.org/software/guile/docs/guile-tut/tortoise1.html. I could
>compile it but when I run it from bash, I get a core dump.

I don't program X, nevertheless there's nothing there that I can see
which checks for the existence of an X server. Looks like all the error
checking has been omitted for tutorial clarity. Here's a hint on
avoidance until you reach the tutorial which does it in code...

#!  /bin/sh
if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ]
then
    echo "No X atm"
    exit `false`
else
   "$HOME"/tortoise1
fi

Either of "info bash" or "man ash" (ash=sh).

>On the Linux system I use for my work, the program runs flawlessly. I cannot
>tell if this is because the program is badly written (that is not
>well-behaved) or because there is a bug Cygwin / X11 somewhere.

echo $DISPLAY
man X

>I shall not need X11 (as far as I can tell now) on Windows, but I thought this
>may be interesting for Cygwin community.
>
>(By the way: Cygwin seems to be a phantastic product, now that learnt a few
>things with a lot of help from this mailing list.)

Loosely, you just need to launch a command shell from inside X and it'll
run. Fyi it does work.

--
swamp-dog@ntlworld.com