Problem with function keys codes with vt100 emulation

Hi I've spent two days investigating this and sorry if this has been
answered already.  I was not able to find any references.

The problem I have is that the cygwin terminal window which runs the bash
shell is generating the wrong key codes when function keys, such as f1, f2,
etc, are pressed.

Ordinarily the terminal starts out with TERM=cygwin.  cygwin terminal
emulation correctly produces the \E[[A for f1, \E[[B for f2, and other
function keys.  I then change TERM to vt100 and expect to get \EOP for f1,
\EOQ for f2, etc but still get the old cygwin mode key codes.

Looking into the /etc/termcap file shows that vt100 terminal mode should
produce \EOP for f1.

I am not exactly sure what the problem is but when I run captoinfo on
/etc/termcap I get a bunch of errors reported.  This may be an unrelated
problem.

My version of cygwin is 1.3.12, dated 2002-07-06.

I would like to know if this is a bug and if so whether there is a fix.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.