Re: RFD: cygipc ENOSYS patch

Chuck,

On Tue, Nov 05, 2002 at 10:38:41AM -0500, Jason Tishler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2002 at 08:35:41PM +0100, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> > I'm getting tired of the "initdb hangs" class of complaints.  Why
> > doesn't the relevant function fail if the ipc-daemon isn't running?
> > Can anything be done in that area?
>
> Motivated by the above, I finally looked into this long standing
> Cygwin PostgreSQL problem.  Specifically, Cygwin PostgreSQL will hang
> and consume all available CPU cycles if cygipc's ipc-daemon is not
> running when either initdb or postmaster is started.
>
> I'm proposing that the attached patch (against cygipc-1.11-1) be
> applied to cygipc since it solves the Cygwin PostgreSQL hang problems.
> Specifically, this patch changes cygipc's shmget() and semget() to
> return ENOSYS instead of EACCES if ipc-daemon is not running.

See the following for the full details:

The Cygwin PostgreSQL and KDE communities seem to be happy with the
above.  Would you be willing to accept such a patch into cygipc CVS?

If so, then please let me know because I just found some more places
where ENOSYS should be returned instead of EACCES.  However, I would
like to gauge your interest before pursuing this further.

Thanks,
Jason