Another less/rxvt prob: Not interpreting <backspace>?

Hi, All, :)

"Thank You!" to Sergei and Matthijs who graciously gave suggestions
and commiseration about my problem with 'less' not determining the
terminal size correctly.  Through no fault of my own, the problem
seems to have ameliorated itself: running 'less' in a new rxvt
instance no longer exhibits the quirky behavior of trying to scroll
only 24 lines in a 25-line terminal.

(Note that rxvt is still opening a window that is one row greater than
what I ask for.  I ask for '-geometry "80x24"' and get 80x25, but
that's a niggle.)

However, 'less' now seems to be struggling to interpret keystrokes.
Specifically <backspace>: when editing a search pattern, instead of
erasing the previous character, 'less' inserts "^?".
<Ctrl>-<backspace> seems to perform the function of <backspace>, as
does <Ctrl>-h.  Once again, this behavior didn't crop up until my
recent update from 1.3.12 or so to 1.3.15 on Friday.

Here is what I believe to be the relevant info about my system.  If
this isn't clear or complete enough, please let me know!

Installation info:
cygwin: 1.3.15-2
rxvt: 2.7.2-14
bash: 2.05b-7
less: 374-1
termcap: 20020930-1
terminfo: 5.2-3
Win2K SP2

rxvt invocation:
C:\WINNT\system32\cmd.exe /c start C:\cygwin\bin\rxvt.exe -tn "rxvt" -fg
grey -bg black -fn "Fixedsys" -sr -sl 5000 -e /bin/bash --login -i

Relevant environment variables:

TERM=xterm
LESS=iFMSX# 8
CYGWIN=tty nontsec

Any ideas on how I can investigate this problem further?

---Jason