Re: pipe performance problem

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 11:04:15PM +0100, thomas wrote:
>Christopher Faylor <cgf@redhat.com> wrote:
>>If the relevant code was obvious then it would be trivial to fix.  I'm
>>not even convinced that there is a cygwin problem here.  It doesn't
>>appear to be doing anything wrong.  However, unless you are doing
>>something with ttys I don't see why that's appropriate.
>
>from a quick look i found /dev/piper and things like that in tty.cc and
>since thats what the strace logs are also showing i thought tty.cc is
>relevant.

I was trying to help by cutting down on places to look.  If you want to
investigate tty code, feel free.

>now please correct me if i'm wrong, but when it works with 1.1.18 and
>not with 1.3.x and the only constant that changes is cygwin, wouldn't
>every fan of logic scream out loud then: it's cygwin! :)

Logic fan, are you?  Did you see anything in the strace log that indicated
cygwin was operating improperly?  "It's slower" is not necessarily a sign
of improper behavior.  There are often reasons for decreasing performance,
such as "improving compliance".  If a program is so finely tuned that it
falls over when timings change then it is possible that it is just not
going to work.

cgf