Output of cygpath --path --windows is corrupt

The output from cygpath --path --windows is corrupt for a unix path
with lot of directory components. I found this problem a while ago,
see

I tried again with the latest cygwin release (1.3.16), but still
without success. Unfortunately I am still not sure whether this is a
problem with my cygwin setup or whether this is a bug in cygcheck.

Can anybody reproduce the error as described in my email referenced
above?

Any help is appreciated,
Daniel