Re: accessing cygwin functions from non-cygwin app

> while I was trying to understand this on my own I'm ready to give up. All I
> intended was translating a coupld of filenames from cygwin to Win32 notation
> in an otherwise Win32-only app.

> I have a problem using it as the application cannot be expected to have
> access to the perprocess class (nor is the app a C++ app, and neither is it
> being built with gcc) or other cygwin sources, and it also cannot link
against
> libcygwin.a.

Well, I don't follow all of what you're saying, but basically:

1) If you want to use the functions provided in the Cygwin DLL, you have to
   link against it. If you want to do this with gcc, there are lots of
   examples in the cygwin CVS (cygpath) or cygutils (mkshortcut). There is
   also an API reference available on the website.

2) If you don't want to link against the Cygwin DLL, you need to do your
   own translation. I believe it's pretty straighforward. There are some
   registry entries that provide a mount table for '/' and other directories.
   In most cases, this is "C:\cygwin", so /home/foo/ is c:\cygwin\home\foo\
   and so on. I'm assuming here that you're familiar with both Unix and
   Windows path-styles.

Hope it helps.