Undefined reference to '__gxx_personality_v0' when linking

Hi all,

I just ran setup to get the latest versions of
everything (and download rxvt).  I had difficulties
during setup, I got disconnected and it asked me
if I wanted to continue, but in the end it all
seemed to work (except the _update-info-dir at
the end failed, should I care?)

Anyhow, I tried playing around with the new code
and re-made a few projects.  It appears every
C++ project has the above undefined reference
when linking:  __gxx_personality_v0

I tried to find an answer on deja, but as far
as I can tell gcc 3.x isn't ready for prime time,
at least on cygwin.

So, now I'm hung.  No development.

1. Is this a problem for others?
2. Can I install the old version of gcc I had before?
3. Is there a workaround -flag=oldgcc!!!

Thanks for any help,
James