Re: Slowness on app startup after recent update (and yes I readthe FAQ)

Ron,

Another place to look is your /etc/passwd.  You might have your home
directory set to /, or your login user is missing from your password file,
and thus you end up with / as your home directory.  Just a hunch.
	Igor

On Fri, 13 Dec 2002, Randall R Schulz wrote:

> Ron,
>
> Again, a good place to look is your environment.
>
> This example suggests strongly that your HOME environment variable is
> simply "/". I think some code (in this case "cvs") blindly takes the value
> of environment variables that are meant to name directories and blindly
> appends a slash and whatever path components lead to the resource they're
> looking for. If that root or base directory name is just "/", this problem
> ensues.
>
> Also, note that repeated slashes are only a problem at the beginning of a
> path name. Elsewhere they're idempotent.
>

> By the way, in output like the kind you've attached in the last two posts,
> it's a good idea to try to prevent line wrapping. If that's not an option
> with your mail client (or if the mail servers or list processors along the
> way are going to override your choice not to wrap long lines), then put the
> content in an attachment so it doesn't get mangled.
>
> Randall Schulz
> Mountain View, CA USA
>

> At 13:42 2002-12-13, Ron Wood wrote:
> >Somehow a // has been introduced into my system. Below
> >is the strace to cvs.
> >
> >My path is,

> >part of strace output,

> >29888  117233 [main] cvs 2280 normalize_posix_path:
> >src //.cvsrc
> >   127  117360 [main] cvs 2280 normalize_posix_path:
> >//.cvsrc = normalize_posix_path (//.cvsrc)
> >    95  117455 [main] cvs 2280
> >mount_info::conv_to_win32_path: conv_to_win32_path
> >(//.cvsrc)
>

> --

				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune