Re: LFTP: Cygwin and setupterm

This thread has a lot of misinformation and just plain confusion.

For starters, term.h != termcap.h. Some messages in this thread talk about term.h, others about termcap.h -- and seem to mean one when they're talking about the other. Sigh.

Also, /usr/include/termcap.h is NOT the ncurses version (on a stock cygwin system). The ncurses termcap compatibility header file is /usr/include/ncurses/termcapn.h (note the extra 'n')

No, the standard ncurses package doesn't put a term.h -> ncurses/term.h symlink. It probably should; my linux box includes these symlinks that the ncurses cygwin package doesn't:
/usr/include/term.h -> ncurses/term.h
/usr/include/eti.h -> ncurses/eti.h
For now, do it yourself. I've added this change to my ncurses TODO list, so the next ncurses release will do this for you.

As far as Frederic's problem goes, I'd create the new symlinks, and re-run configure (after deleting config.cache). Hopefully that will make the changes to lftp_tinfo.cc unnecessary.

[[ ONLY for the brave; NO FURTHER support for this variant will be forthcoming ]]
If you want to use ncurses as a complete replacement for libtermcap (when compiling; this procedure will NOT change the runtime behavior of already-compiled programs), then you need to:
rename
/usr/include/ncurses/termcapn.h to
/usr/include/ncurses/termcap.h
Do NOT copy it into /usr/include -- the "real" termcap.h should live there. [DON'T DO THIS: You'd want to uninstall the termcap package BUT YOU CAN'T]. The problem is, the termcap package includes the header and library *as well as* /etc/termcap. You want to keep /etc/termcap; so you must manually delete /usr/include/termcap.h, /usr/lib/libtermcap.a, and /usr/man/man3/termcap.3. And they'll reappear the next time you update the termcap package.

Once you've done all this, if the package you are compiling is set up properly, it will see termcap.h in /usr/include/ncurses, and use it (and will automatically link using -lcurses or -lncurses instead of -ltermcap. But only if your autoconfigury stuff is handled properly. If it is not, then it's a bug in the package you're trying to compile -- go talk to them about it.

--Chuck