Re: /etc/inetd.conf: No such file or directory

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 11:18:24AM -0500, Mikhail Teterin wrote:
>Khmmm, I'm fairly certain, I was not even asked this question.
>Probably, as I said, because the registry already had the Cygwin keys
>left from the previous installation, which was made by a user without
>the admin privileges.  Perhaps, the installer should be made a little
>bit smarter about that?

setup always offers this option to you.  You must have missed it.
Perhaps it would make sense to run a test before offering up
suggestions?

>Also, the ``inetd --install-as-service'' should've warned me at the
>install time, shouldn't it have? Thanks! The inetd is working now.

Perhaps you'd like to provide a patch illustrating your vision of a
warning message?

>For the benefits of those with the same problem, I'm attaching the .reg
>file which assumes ``C:\cygwin''.  Even if you installed CygWin
>elsewhere, it is a lot easier to edit the file and then "just click on
>it", than edit the registry manually.

"edit the registry manually"?  No.  You use the mount command to
manipulate the mount table.  Novel concept.  The registry is (as far as
cygwin is concerned) supposed to be a black box and can change at a
whim.  If anyone is routinely modifying the registry I can guarantee
they'll be shocked and confused by future changes coming to cygwin.

cgf
--
Please do not send me personal email with cygwin questions or observations.
Use the resources at http://cygwin.com/ .