Re: Fwd: which command fails

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002, J S wrote:

> Sorry I posted this to the wrong group.
> >
> >Hi,
> >
> >Since I upgraded cygwin I can't use the which command. It keeps saying:
> >
> >$ which /usr/bin/ls
> >/usr/bin/ls: Command not found.
> >

> >My path appears to be OK:
> >
> >$ echo $PATH
> >/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:.:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/usr/local/wmaker/bin:/cygdriv
> >e/c/WINNT/system32:/cygdrive/c/WINNT:/cygdrive/c/WINNT/System32/Wbem:/cygdrive/c/ora8i/bin:/cygdrive
> >/c/Program
> >Files/Oracle/jre/1.1.7/bin:/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/E!PC:/cygdrive/c/ACE/rdbms32/bin:/cygdriv
> >e/c/Program Files/Attachmate/E!E2K/:/cygdrive/c/PROGRA~1/ULTRAE~1
> >
> >The which also looks OK, and is the same as the which in the old cygwin I
> >had:
> >
> >$ which
> >usage: which [-a] command...
> >
> >$ ls -l which
> >-rwx------ 1 544 10513 4608 Nov 15 2001 which
> >
> >Any ideas what could be going wrong?
> >
> >JS.

Yes. You have ntsec on (it's on by default starting from 1.3.13, IIRC),
and the files in your /bin have the wrong permissions. Try

$ chmod -R a+rx /bin

and see if it solves the problem. You might also want to update your
passwd and group files - search this list for instructions.
Igor

I found doing chmod -R a+Xr * from the root directory was a better solution because it only then added user excecute permissions to those files that already had the x flag set.

I now have a problem in that, when I take a snapshot of cygwin with these permissions set, the package I build doesn't retain those permissions when I install it again.

Ideally what I'd like is for the administrator to install the package, and then the user log on and run startx. Unfortunately at the moment that currently results in things not working properly eg. the which command, failed input method.

So short of getting the administrator to run chmod -R a+Xr * themselves first before logging off, is there anything else you can think of which might allow me to retain the permissions in my cygwin build?

Many thanks for your help.

Rgds,

JS.

MSN 8 helps eliminate e-mail viruses. Get 3 months FREE*. http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU= http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_virusprotection_3mf