[Patch] make 3.79.1-5 vpath directive in file 'read.c'

Johan Bezem jbezem@csksoftware.com
Tue May 21 11:19:00 GMT 2002

Hi,

sorry, I've been on vacation for two weeks, and now trying to catch up
with the mailing list.
Since supplying the patch, and already trying 3.79.1-7 in experimental
mode, I've come to an understanding about the FIXME comments, asking
whether such a conversion should only be applied when not in 'unixy'
mode ("unixy_shell != 0").
1. In the file vpath.c, the VPATH variable and the GPATH variable are
handled differently (GPATH only converts when unixy_shell == 0, VPATH in
any case); this is at least inconsequent, I'd suggest to remove the
'unixy_shell' condition in the GPATH case.
2. In the file read.c, the vpath directive includes a check for
"!unixy_shell", which I would like to have removed. The patch I provided
had no such condition, which let me use DOS-like pathnames for
VPATH/GPATH/vpath, whithout the need for explicit conversion, even when
using /bin/sh or bash from the CygWin distribution. This comes
in handy, since my makefiles are to be platform independent for Windows
(using CygWin) and several flavours of Unix where no cygpath/realpath
utilities are available, of course. Yes, ifeq can test for platforms,
but the makefile tends to become less readable if every path
specification must be bracketed with ifeq/else/endif's.

Is there a reason to retain the checks for "!unixy_shell"?

Regards,

Johan Bezem
CSK Software AG

PS: The cygwin website seems to be down at the moment, so I couldn't
check whether the released 3.79.1-7 is exactly the same as the
experimental 3.79.1-7 I downloaded on May 12th.