Re: Cygwin gcc "initializer element is not constant" problem

Igor,

On Thu, Jan 02, 2003 at 03:03:21PM -0500, Igor Pechtchanski wrote:
> How about doing exactly what the message suggests (see attached)?

I think that I found the best solution -- auto-import the functions by
just removing the "__declspec(dllimport)" indicators.  If interested,
see attached.

Thanks,
Jason

--- Begin Message ---
On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 05:14:17PM -0500, Tim Peters wrote:
> Please don't make this kind of change -- it makes the code so much
> harder to follow.  If this is needed for Cygwin, then, e.g., do
>
> [snip]

I believe that I have found a cleaner solution to this problem.
Cygwin's ld can auto-import functions:

    http://www.cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2001-08/msg00024.html

Specifically, the following snippet is the most pertinent:

    We "always" have allowed 'auto-import' of *functions* that are
    exported by the DLL (as long as the DLL contains the appropriate
    symbols).

Note I don't believe that "always" pertained when I first started down
this path in the Python 2.0 time frame.

Anyway, with the attached patch to pyport.h, I was able to build Cygwin
Python without any errors.  Note this includes the new datetime module
from CVS -- not the patched one in sandbox.

I feel this is the best approach because modules should build under
Cygwin without the standard Cygwin style patch that I have been
submitting for years.  Do others concur?  If so, then I will begin to
clean up the "mess" that I have created.

Now if SF could search for patches by the submitter, my job would be a
little easier...

Jason