gdb Error ***could not load user32, Win32 error 0 on Windows ME

I downloaded and installed cygwin version 1.3.18.1 to a Windows ME machine
in the directory c:\cygwin.  I installed the following components (binutils,
gcc, gcc-mingw, gdb, make, mingw-runtime). The installation went OK with the
exception that during the post-install script there were errors (***could
not load user 32, Win32 error) on several applications.  My Dos window
didn't have enough room to buffer them but one of the last applications was
passwd.exe.

I started cygwin by double clicking on cygwin.bat and the application opened
without any problems.  I developed a simple hello world application called
helloWorld.c located at the root level of the c drive.  Here are the
following steps:

$ cd /cygdrive/c
$ gcc -g -ohelloWorld.exe helloWorld.c

There were no compile errors and helloWorld.exe was created.

$ ./helloWorld.exe
  hello world

The program ran from the command line with no problems

$ gdb helloWorld.exe
(gdb) run
Starting Program: /cygdrive/c/helloWorld.exe
HELLOWORLD.EXE *** could not load user32.dll, Win32 error 0
Program exited with code 01

After quiting gdb, I checked the PATH variable with the following statement:

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS:/cygdrive/cWINDOWS/COMMAND:
/cygdrive/c/WINDOWS/SYSTEM

There is only one user32.dll (version 4.90.0.3000) on the machine and it is
located at c:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM.

I have performed the same steps on Windows 95, 98, NT, XP and 2000 and do
not have this problem.

I appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks.
David Collier