Installing Postgresql-7.3 on Cygwin (Win2000pro)

In the /usr/doc/postgresql-7.3/FAQ_MSWIN I find the following caveaat:

<quote>

3. The Cygwin bin directory has to be placed in the path before the
Windows program directories, because the sort.exe has to be taken
from Cygwin, not Windows.

4

</quote>

However, this is really pretty unsatisfactory. When I run in a Cygwin shell, indeed, the Windoz command directories are the "last resort," because I expect Cygwin to supply nearly everything I need. But, outside the Cygwin shell environment, putting the cygwin /bin path ahead of the Windoz directories also changes such things as FTP -- and that is NOT acceptable. For one thing, it does very un-nice things in Xemacs.

I don't expect the postmaster, or other pgsql components, to run in any command shell at all but as Win services. I suppose I can mess with the user-environment variables of the postgres "user," but I don't know how good an idea that is.

Any other alternattives? Is sort the only issue? -- I never use MS sort, I could always rename it.

--
David A. Cobb, Software Engineer, Public Access Advocate
"By God's Grace I am a Christian man, by my actions a great sinner." -- The Way of a Pilgrim; R. M. French, tr.