RE: Repost, different list...File::Spec, Cygwin, Syntactic vs. Semantic path analysis

>	If a user calls the 'normalize' function, it should convert it
>to "\" -- since that is the OS standard/default -- HOWEVER...

I tend to agree that as windows uses the back-slash as a default path
seperator so should `normalize' but also in the interest of
compatability with windows 95 (in dos mode) as it doesn't support the
forward-slash path seperator.

>	In "cmd.exe", you can type 'dir \' or you can type 'dir "/"'.
>You have to quote the "/" so it won't be interpreted as a switch
>character -- but the underlying OS seems to not really care which you
>use and neither should Win32.

A bit OT but dir does not support the forward slash pathsep even when quoted:

  C:\WINNT>dir "/"

   Directory of \\

  File Not Found

Although the win32 api supports both one takes more work as paths containing forward-slashes are converted to back-slashes*. I know this is being petty but if different style paths cause problems surely it would make sense to follow the standard the OS follows?

Elfyn
elfyn@exposure.org.uk