Cygwin gcc 3.2 seems to break fetchmail

In the process of building the latest fetchmail (i.e., 6.2.0) for
release, I seem to have stumbled over a Cygwin gcc 3.2 build problem.
Although fetchmail builds cleanly under Cygwin gcc 3.2, it does not
function properly -- it seems to get completely confused.

Here are some of my observations so far:

    o All of my public fetchmail releases to dated were built with
      gcc 2.95.3-5 or earlier.
    o Configured with the defaults (i.e., CFLAGS=-O), fetchmail exits
      very early in its poll with a "socket error" when attempting to
      fetch mail from a known good IMAP server.  See the first
      attachment for the details.
    o Configured with CFLAGS=-g, fetchmail completes its poll cycle.
      However, the log file shows lots of garbage (include carriage
      returns).  See the second attachment for the details.
    o Configured with CC=gcc-2, fetchmail behaves as expected.  See the
      third attachment for the details.
    o Configured with the defaults under Linux and gcc 3.2, fetchmail
      behaves as expected.

Any suggestions on how to best debug this problem or potential root
causes will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason