Setup.exe discussion (was Re: General comments...)

Dave Hooper wrote:
> The major spot I've noticed with slowness is when if you click on the
> text "Default" in the packages list (initial view, so whatever that
> is, Curr/All I guess), and it takes a million years (without an
> hourglass) to change to "Install"

Yes. If only I can find a sufficiently contiguous block of free time...

> Oh, something somewhere also leaks memory like a seive.

I haven't encountered this. Maybe you would like to try the snapshot at
http://cygwin.com/setup-snapshots/ ?

>> Isn't that kinda up to the user. When you finish downloading new
>> packages you kill your internet connection as cygwin setup won't
>> need it.
>
> I totally disagree.  Cygwin setup has two phases, download and
> install. Install takes almost as long as download on many machines!
> So in an ideal world Cygwin would automatically hang up if it had
> initially autodialled the internet connection  (maybe it does this,
> I'm not on dial up), or pop up a message box saying "Finished
> downloading, click OK to install" or similar.

Autodialling isn't something that (most) programs do. Windows does it for
them. So setup doesn't know if a connection was made on it's account or not.

Isn't the change from downloading to installing info enough?

> Is the source for setup.exe in cvs anyway?

Of course it is. http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin-apps/setup.html

Max.