RE: Slowness when setting PS1 variable???

Thomas,

The key here is that back-quotes or $( command ) uses a pipe to get the output of the command.

Do you run a CPU-soaking background program such as SETI@home, Folding@home (the protein folding experiment) or fightAIDS@home (the AIDS drug discovery program)?

If so, you're seeing the result of the changes to how Cygin accesses pipes in 1.3.18.

I hope these changes will be perfected or backed out, since I don't want to give up running background CPU utilization software and in the long run I cannot afford to stop updating Cygwin (of course).

Randall Schulz