Re: Subject: Re: Setup.exe

Fred,

At 10:39 2003-01-08, Fred_Smith@computrition.com wrote:

I'll leap in here too...

If Windoze is smart enough to autodial when some program wants to use the
internet it then should be smart enough to notice that the connection has
gone idle and do an idle time-out for hanging up. If not, then its broken.
I can speak only about Windows 2000, but you certainly can configure an idle time-out (hang-up) if you want. You can independently configure it to re-dial if the connection is dropped by the remote side.

My preferred configuration is to set a 5-minute idle disconnect, auto-redial on remote drop and check my mail every 5 minutes to keep the connection alive.

The only problem I have is that the auto-dial option (which is a system-wide or user-wide option set in the "Network and Dial-Up Connections" sub-folder of the Control Panels folder) sporadically turns it self off. More precisely, the system "spontaneously" (i.e., in response to some occurrence that is unknown to me and for which a pattern of occurrence cannot be discerned) enables the "Disable autodial for the current session (until I log off)" option in the "Dial-up Preferences" dialog. It's very annoying.

Randall Schulz