Setup.exe (was: General comments... )

----- Original Message -----
From: "Hannu E K Nevalainen (garbage mail)" <garbage_collector@telia.com>
To: <cygwin@cygwin.com>
Sent: Wednesday, January 08, 2003 11:56 AM
Subject: General comments...

>  There is one thing that I find almost annoying with the setup
> utility.
>  At a certain point it feels VERY slow; when the list of packages to
> download/install is about to open up. This may take anything from a little
> while to ages to open (No, I haven't measured time
> so far). As there is NO progress display it feels as a very long
> delay. Please, consider adding a progress display of some sort.

Already done, in the development snapshots.

> Also: I feel that I have to verify settings all the time. I download
> packages into a local directory, then install them
> from there, to be able to REINSTALL all of it, fresh - in case of
> trouble, whatever "sort of" it might be.

I did this for ages, until I found out that "Install from Internet" does
maintain a local directory you can install from again.

> I have to run the utility twice AND click the NEXT
> button "a hundred times" ;-)
> My suggesttion: Add an option to "use last settings" for the selected
> operation (download or install), having it GO at once.

Which settings? Mostly I find I can just hit Enter a few times.

> One more thing: As I'm running the download through an ISDN line (charge
> based on time up), it is vital for me to be able to disconnect ASAP.
>  Minimal support for handling this in a good manner would be to
> display information regarding whether the utility needs the line
> to be up or not.

Its quite simple. Setup requires a connection until the "Downloading" phase
has ended, after which it says "Installing".

Max.