Re: Calling a program without bash login

Travis,

You're not giving us much to go on, but here's a better attempt:

C:\cygwin\bin\bash -c "exec /usr/local/bin/ruby /home/travis/myprog.rb"

However, I don't see why you're involving BASH or any shell at all. If the Ruby interpreter is invoked from a context in which there is no character-stream standard input and output, a console window will be created automatically.

You'll only need the BASH if you want the initial point of entry to be a shell script. Since as shown you want to invoke the Ruby interpreter directly, the shell offers little. One reason you might want to do this is if you required environment setup performed within the shell initialization processing.

You can create a Windows shortcut or a batch file that will launch Ruby with the appropriate script / program name argument. If you use the shortcut, you can also establish the window size and position, the font used, the colors displayed, etc. I'm not fond of batch scripts, so I don't know if similar flexibilty is available that way.

The shortcut approach I favor will allow an arbitrary command invocation, so you can use it with or without an intervening shell invocation.

The only thing you'll need to do, at a minimum, is make sure that the Cygwin bin directory is in the PATH so that Windows can find and load the Cygwin1.dll, the common prerequisite of all Cygwin programs.

Randall Schulz