Bugs in Rsync?

I'm trying to use Rsync to back up this system to a remote across the
network. I'm butting my head against 2 probs:

- When rsync is given a source of /, it absolutely refuses to descend into
/cygdrive. It's as if the -x (one fs only) is set.

- When rsync is given a source of /cygdrive/c/ it will attempt to read
pagefile.sys (the NT swap file) and always reports an IO error and this
causes it to change its behavior (doesn't quite die). It does this
regardless of all-powerful exclusions that would cause it to skip over
pagefile.sys. Even touching that file enough to realize to exclude it
evidently causes it problems.

Are these really problems or am I just missing something? Thanks.

Michael