Re: tempfile does not exists here or there, but where?

On Wed, 15 Jan 2003, you (whoever you are) wrote:

> There is no tempfile (the shell execute program) to be
> found in the archives as well.. Some xapps run better
> with it...If anyone does know where I can compile the
> tempfile executable source please let me know...thx...
>
> -engines i checked didn't show up with the what i'm
> looking for, if you know what i mean please help me
> out.;)...i can't find it at cygwin's search
> archive,google and gnu.org...(cygwin.com does return
> results but in python and perl packages which is not
> what i think is the solution...)
>
> jagg

To get tempfile, download the debianutils source at
<http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/debianutils.html>, extract it,
change to the main directory and "make tempfile".  Don't know if it works,
but there is no reason it shouldn't, and it compiled with no errors.  Not
sure if there are any licensing issues if you want to distribute it.

FYI, I found out about debianutils by searching on google for
"/bin/tempfile source".  The summary of one of the matches said something
like "requires: /bin/tempfile from debianutils".  I immediately did
another search for "debianutils source", and voila.  Search engines aren't
all-powerful, but once one learns to use them, they are invaluable.
	Igor
--
				http://cs.nyu.edu/~pechtcha/
      |\      _,,,---,,_		pechtcha@cs.nyu.edu

Oh, boy, virtual memory! Now I'm gonna make myself a really *big* RAMdisk!
  -- /usr/games/fortune