VPATH broken with multiple dirs

I'm attempting to modify the Mozilla build system so that it heavily
relies upon using multiple dirs in the VPATH and I ran into a problem.
If I list multiple directories in the VPATH, only source files that are
in the first directory are found.   I added a couple of printfs to the
cygwin make source and I discovered that when the win32 path list is
converted to a posix path list on line 108 of vpath.c, only the first
directory is converted.

Before: VPATH = c:/root/rmch/mozilla/js/src/xpconnect
c:/root/rmch/mozilla/js/src/xpconnect/idl

After: VPATH = /cygdrive/c/root/rmch/mozilla/js/src/xpconnect
c:/root/rmch/mozilla/js/src/xpconnect/idl

This implies that the cygwin_win32_to_posix_path_list() function doesn't
support converting multiple paths.  I haven't grabbed the cygwin dll
sources yet. Does anyone know authoritatively if that's the case?

I searched the mailing list archive and came across this message back
from 1998 which has no apparent resolution.

- cls